Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Poor, Neglected Blog

Ack!

It has come to my attention that I have not updated my blog in over a month. OVER A MONTH! Oh, how the mighty have fallen! Where has my youthful exuberance for cyber-journaling ventured?

Actually, I know exactly where it has gone: the mistress that woos me from my blogging duties is the Kairos, the "official publication for the students of Austin Presbyterian Seminary." Don't let the fancy Greek fool you--it's a weekly newsletter, for which I get moderately compensated. I'm the editor in chief, sole-photographer, and sole-columnist, all rolled into one package. Some days I feel like Lois Lane's and Peter Parker's love child, minus the good looks and superpowers. [Though I supposse I could one day be bitten by a radioactive spider, but my domicile lacks spiders, radioactive or otherwise. I did catch this ginormous cockroach this morning--roughly the size of a Buick, to borrow a phrase from Woody Allen. Totally gross, but I digress]

Anyway, please don't misunderstand me: I love my job, even though I have lovingly nick-named the newsletter "Bane," as in, for two days a week, it's the "Bane" of my existence. And as I will be travelling to Germany this winter, the spending money is needed desperately. But its sucking my creative energy, my usual rapier wit, and otherwise above-average mastery of the English language.

So sorry I haven't posted lately.

In addition to editing what may be the finest Presbyterian student publication this side of the Mason-Dixon line, my time has been consumed by the following pursuits:

1) Deciphering Christian ethics. Can somebody please succinctly explain Kant's categorical imperative? And why I should give a flying fuck? [just kidding...that sounded a little harsh]

2)Deciphering Greek, which I have decided is less futile than attempting to decipher Hebrew.

3) Knitting up a storm, beginning a quest to learn how to knit socks.

4)Trying not to have a complete nervous breakdown...harder than it sounds. (see number 1, 2, and "the Bane.")

I leave you with yet another quote from my personal poet laureate, Paul Simon:

"I know they say let it be
But it just don't work out that way
And the course of a lifetime runs
Over and over again"

-- Mother and Child Reunion

2 comments:

astrocero said...

so the boycott is broken! alas a mighty wind is blowin' if you need a photographer, i am a semi professional photog, and have my on equipment, and i also have time. so if you want or need the help, i will work as anonymous adios

Anonymous said...

Kant's Categorical Imperative: treat others as ends in themselves, never as mere means.

Good luck on the avoidance of a nervous breakdown. Perhaps the delicious beverages served at the neighborhood public house could be a cure of sorts?