Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy All Hallow's Eve!

What music I am listening to: Me First and the Gimme Gimmes: Are a Drag. Great CD- their cover of the song, "Rainbow Connection" is fucking awesome!

I have had a lot of beers this evening, so I apologize if this posting is somewhat incoherant.

Man, Halloween sucks when you are older! I remember the Halloweens of years past, when I would dress up in my costume and trick-or-treat with my father and brother. I was always a little scared of the dark, of being out on Halloween night, but the presence of my dad and his trusty flashlight would always assuage any of my fears.

My favorite Halloween candy? Fun-size Three Musketeer bars! Oh, the chocolate enveloping a soft cushion of nougat, whatever the hell nougat is! I used to steal Three Musketeer candy bars from my younger brother's Halloween candy stash.

My favorite Halloween costume? Hmmm... so many cool ones, it is hard to decide. My mother is an expert seamstress and we always had kick-ass costumes. One year I was Annie Oakley and my mother made me a great faux-leather fringed vest and matching skirt. (For those of you who don't know who Annie Oakley was, she was a famous Western sharp-shooter in the late 19th Century) When I was in first grade, I was the tooth fairy. My mother made a wonderful flowy skirt of purple netting. I wore it over a purple leotard. She also made me a wand with a tooth on the end of it.

I know that a lot of Christian conservatives are against the celebration of Halloween--they think it's "Satan's holiday." I know that in the Panhandle, many churches have "Fall Festivals" on Halloween night to discourage folks from trick-or-treating. But I say such festivals are silly. What's the harm in kids having fun? Dressing up as the tooth fairy was never a response to worship Satan but rather an excuse to pretend to be someone else and score some Three Musketeer bars. My problem with fundamentalism is that they (fundamentalists) can't stand it when people are having fun!

1 comment:

bcdees47 said...

I agree. Halloween is somewhat lacking as a so-called adult. Maybe I should've made the trip down to 6th street - I'm sure that would have been entertaining to see.