Thursday, March 09, 2006

Three Cheers for the Trinity!


Wednesday afternoon, I had an opportunity to attend a lecture concerning one of my favorite theological doctrines, the doctrine of the Trinity. Yes, my sisters and brothers, I am a Trinity "nerd," in part because I am a Cindy Rigby disciple and also because I feel that renewed understanding of the Trinity can and will revolutionize the church. [For all non-APTS readers: Cindy is one our kick-ass theology professors. I want to be Cindy when I grow up! I worship at the feet of Cindy! Oh, that I could touch the hem of her garment...ok, that's going a little to far. ]

Without going into a lengthy Trinitarian discourse, which you won't want to read and I am too lazy to write, I would like to give a brief "Shout Out" to my dear friend, the Trinity:

Have you noticed how all things Cool come in Three's?

* Three Amigos
* Three Dog Night
* Three's Company
* Three Stooges
* Three Caballeros
* Three Blind Mice
* [Goldilocks and the] Three Bears
* Three Billy Goats Gruff
* Three Musketeers, which has an added bonus of being my favorite manifestation of the candy bar
... and an infinite array of other examples...

Therefore, let be known throughout the land that the Trinity is not simply a character from the popular Matrix movie franchise (of where there are three movies...coincidence?) nor should meditation on the Trinity be consigned to one Sunday per year. Let us embrace and explore this doctrine..this "God in three Persons," "one ousia in three hypostases:" Blessed Trinity!

No comments: