Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I am a Rock

Words from the immortal Paul Simon:


A winter's day
In a deep and dark December
I am alone
Gazing from my window
To the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow

I am a rock
I am an island

I've built walls
A fortress deep and mighty
That none may penetrate
I have no need for friendship
Friendship causes pain
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.

I am a rock
I am an island

Don't talk of love
Well, I've heard the word before
It's sleeping in my memory
I won't disturb the slumber
Of feelings that have died
If I'd never loved, I never would have cried

I am a rock
I am an island

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armor
Hiding in my room
Safe within my womb
I touch no-one and no-one touches me

I am a rock
I am an island

And the rock feels no pain
And an island never cries


Today is cold. It is December and deep and dark here in Austin. I am alone, struggling to write this damn worship paper! My heart is surrounded by walls; I am a mighty fortress! O, that someone would come and break down my walls of solitude!

2 comments:

Katrina said...

You know, you can break down your own walls of solitude. Just get out.

astrocero said...

i find that when feeling lonely, i look into the mirrior and tell myself how pretty i look, and that i love me, or if that doesn't work, i listen to sad songs such as, elvis costello's allison, beck's guess i'm doing fine, and andthing by kc and the sunshine band(nothing is sadder than white people doing funky dance music, unless your last name is gibb) how this helps, or someone's creepy brother could flirt with you. adios.