Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Walkin' After 10:00 P.M.

What music I am listening to: Soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar. This soundtrack profoundly affected my life in a way no other music has. I'll write about it sometime...

Winter, or at least, a close cousin of Winter, has finally arrived here in the capital city of the great state of Texas. I went for a walk with two of my best friends here at seminary, Ryan, the one whom we call "Pappan," and Ryan, the one whom we call "Daisy." The three of us strolled along the streets which wind around the University of Texas and Austin Seminary campuses, and even though the cold wind permeated the thin material of my hoodie, I paid little mind to the cold. [Alright- to be honest, towards the end of our perambulation, I was noticeably shivering and was very glad when Daisy suggested we return home.]

Walking is good for the soul-- and yes, pun intended. Our ancestors walked everywhere and I tend to believe that by relying on automobiles, we are missing the simple pleasure of walking. When you walk somewhere, your mind has a chance to wander aimlessly, even if you move with the concentrated purpose of a native New Yorker. Tonight, we wandered aimlessly, both with our feet and also with our conversation. We talked of theology, of triumphs and sorrows of the art. We shared hopes, fears, dreams, and encouragements. As I returned to my apartment, with cold toes and ruddy cheeks, I realized yet again how much Austin feels like home and how I have already grown to love my new-found friends.

No comments: