Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Sick Day!

Today marks the beginning of February and time for one of Meredith's annual traditions. No, I'm not referring to "groundhog day," which is tomorrow and which I will observe by watching the Bill Murray movie of the same name.

Alas, I, Meredith Kemp, am sick!

I'm not the kind of person who gets sick frequently; generally speaking, I have an immune system that could kill a small horse. Nay, it's an annual event, usually in late January or early February and usually the denoument after a stressful activity (in this case, Hebrew). Precisely one year ago, I got sick during a run of "Sweeney Todd," so I am thankful that there is nothing substantial going on in my life at the moment. [Pause here for a coughing fit]. Uggh. I feel gross. I just want some soup, a little Sprite, and a man to spoon with. On the second thought, I'll settle for just the man...

***
So last night, I was suppossed to help usher at the evening worship service for Midwinter lectures which are taking place at the seminary this week. I say "suppossed to" because it turns out that we were not, in fact, needed to help usher, so I got all dressed up for no good reason. There were so many people in the chapel that I ended up standing up most of the time and I did not get a chance to sing any of the hymns since a hymnal was not available. Normally, I would be somewhat miffed, as singing is my favorite part of a church service. But I was glad to be forced to actually listen to the singing [pause for coughing] of the congregation. Our chapel, normally half to one-fourth full for daily chapel services, was packed to the gills and the singing was glorious, resonating throughout the stone walls and vaulted ceilings. I realized that occassionally, there is much value in taking a step back and absorbing all which is around you.

I also would like to add a shout-out to my fellas in their suits. Mmm....few things are sexier than men in suits. Que guapo!

3 comments:

bcdees47 said...

Interesting. Kellie and I just had a viewing of Groundhog's Day last night, albeit a couple of days early. Believe it or not, I had never watched it before and I found it quite profound, actually.

Monica said...

please get well...i will check on you later today...i will even bring you soup and i will work on bringing a man...

Katrina said...

hope you feel better soon!