Sunday, January 29, 2006

I am Weary, Let me Rest

A conversation today shared over a glorious Crown burger (thanks, Ryan!) with one of my closest friends reflected on the occassional need to de-tox our lives. Now that the 'brew is "pert-near" (that's West Texan for 'almost') over, we are beginning to turn our faces towards other horizons.

I am tired- nay, exhausted! The stress and the rigamorole surrounding the 'brew has worn me down to one tired pulp of a seminarian. This week will be an ideal time to de-tox, de-stress, and prepare for a new semester.

I am finding an increasing urge to simplify my life. So much of my energy is spent in needless activity that I grow weary of my life being "frittered away by detail," to borrow a phrase from H.D. Thoreau. I attended a Taize worship service this evening at my church and I was moved how such a simple, serene service can draw me into the heart of God. If you ever have the means or oppertunity, I encourage you to attend a Taize service...just a personal endorsement.

So this week, and the weeks to come, are hereby dedicated to living in simplicity, to focusing on keeping still and silencing my mind, allowing the beauty and serenity of creation to fully permeate my being.

2 comments:

Monica said...

amen and amen...so glad you arrived to a place of center...it's much better there, isn't it?

astrocero said...

hammock+beer=bliss