Monday, January 02, 2006

A Year in Revue

Happy New Year! The end of the old year and the birth of a new one presents with an ideal time for reflection. So, without further delay, here is Meredith's End of the Year wrap-up Extravaganza for 2005!

January: Moved in with my best friend, Roland. My apartment in Canyon was plagued with horrible plumbing problems, so I decided to cut my losses and move out. Coincidentally, Rolando was looking for a new living situation as well and we decided since we already were practically living together, we should bite the bullet and move into a little house in Canyon.

February: I co-starred in a production of “Sweeney Todd” at our local community theater. I had a nifty role as a beggar-woman/prostitute who gets her throat cut towards the end of the show. I learned that I am capable of anything, as this role was the most challenging thing I have attempted both theatrically and musically. I also learned that stage blood will stain your bra and not even the strongest stain removers will get it out!

March: Came in like a lion and out like a lamb! Received my acceptance letter for Austin Seminary, which was exciting, seeing as how it was the only seminary I applied to.

April: The great T.S. Eliot once said, “April is the cruelest month.” April was not exact a hotbed of activity, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it was cruel. Just boring.

May: The month of my birth (Woo-Hoo!). The highlight of my year, thus far, was my opportunity to be in the cast of “Jesus Christ Superstar” at our local community theater (the same one where I was in “Sweeney Todd.”) Call me a sentimental, sappy fool, but JCS is without a doubt my favorite musical.

June: I won an ALTA (Amarillo Little Theatre Award) for “Best Supporting Actress in a Musical” for my role as “Beggar Woman” in “Sweeney Todd.” An ALTA is sort of like winning an Oscar, only without the Oscar de la Renta formalwear.

July: I threw my annual Fourth of July Picnic. Fun times. I wore my bikini that looks like the American Flag and drank a lot of Bud Light.

August: The most bittersweet month of the year, the 23rd of August marked the end of my tenure in the Panhandle. My leaving Canyon was the end of an era. But I also believed in the words of the Mother Superior from "The Sound of Music:" 'When God closes a door, God always opens a window.' Wise words, Reverend Mother. Wise words indeed.

September: Classes at APTS began! Began to meet the crazy seminarians who quickly became my friends. Learned that the Crown & Anchor is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.

October: Took my first road trip home, with mixed results. Dressed up as a princess for Halloween. Began blogging!

November: Wrote a barrage of papers for school. Celebrated the day upon which we give Thanks with my grandparents.

December: Finals! My wacky trip home! My equally wacky Christmas here in Austin! New Year's Eve with my friends which resulted in some entertaining drunken escapades...

Ah, 2005...so much done and yet, much left undone. I promise to enjoy 2006 to its fullest capacity and if my life continues on its current track, 2006 will be most exciting, indeed.

1 comment:

astrocero said...

an ALTA winner, wow!!! who knew you were a star!

http://www.amarillolittletheatre.org/notes.html
there you are, adios