Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Playin' Hooky

What is more glorious than playing hooky from school (or work, whatever your case may be)?

"Calling in sick," "taking a mental health day," "playing hooky"-- all are euphemisms for the simple joy of deflecting life's responsibilities for a single day. The weekends are typically free from school or work but are instead saddled with the weight of menial weekend chores. A weekend, then, isn't really about total freedom; however, playing hooky allows a person for one day to be totally and absolutely free.

The single greatest depicition of the single greatest day of freedom is the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." I'm sure that anybody who grew up in the 1980's can quote this movie verbatim. But out of the myriad of lines that are certainly more memorable and more quotable, one of my favorites occurs at the beginning of the movie, when Ferris looks at the beautiful sky of a blissful spring morning, and asks, "how can I be expected to handle school on a day like today?" I can't recall how many times I have walked or driven to school or work thinking these exact words. [Side note: I've actually met Ben Stein! Well, I didn't technically meet him, but I did make him a tea, which, incidentally, he sent back. Another story for another time...]

Today was such a day.

After a night of drinking at another great little hole in the wall (named, appropriately, The Hole in the Wall), I decided to enjoy the morning and play hooky from Hebrew. I was not the only one who had similar sentiments, as my other drinking companions also did not show up for class this morning. I slept in ridiculously late, ate breakfast, played with the cat, and am now simultaneously drinking coffee, watching Indecent Proposal, and writing this blog. (Who said that I can't multitask?) At some point, I shall "get back to work," but I intend to delay the ineveitable as long as possible. Indeed, it has been a glorious morning!

2 comments:

Katrina said...

I skipped Hebrew today as well. We deserve it!

bcdees47 said...

What the hell? No one told me it was skip-Hebrew-and-take-a-personal-holiday day. Seriously. And class was hella lame.